More people suffer electrocution from 120 volt sources than any other. The human heart only needs .033 milli-amps to cause cardiac arrest. The lower voltage seems to be easier to access and harder to release once contact is made. The human body's hand will actually clinch closed when shocked. When the subject completes the circuit the individual's ability to disperse voltage to ground eventually in the body. I have worked in the electrical construction industry for over twenty years. I even worked with a guy that died 10 hours after a severe shock. He went home. He appeared to be fine. After supper and a few beers, he went to bed. The next morning he was found dead. That participation has helped recognition of shock hazard in everyday settings.
A major tell-tale sign that the integrity of your electrical wiring is in jeopardy are tripping circuit breakers and blowing fuses. When an electrical circuit breaker trips or a fuse blows, the wiring system has reached a potentially high temperature and is close to causing fire damage. A circuit breaker is there as a built-in safeguard to eliminate overcurrent dangers. Ignoring this could lead to the loss of life and property.
The second culprit of older properties is a lack of ground fault circuit interrupter outlets. The national electrical code requires any energized receptacle to be ground fault. This protects the home owner from electrocution. When water is added to a circuit that is being grounded by a human, the flow of voltage is accelerated. When the individual completes the circuit, the outlet will trip. This disconnects the energy source. This removes the potentially deadly voltage. If you have any interest in selling your property in the future, you should install ground fault receptacles.
Ultimately for children and pets, extension cords seems to be the most accessible voltage danger. Many pests and pets seem to be attracted to the voltage. The frequency and heat generated by alternating current seems to irritate them. In any event, these sources are easily frayed causing access to unwanted electricity. Hopefully by installing the latest evolutions of electrical devices, danger can be significantly reduced. Providing electrical upgrades not only save money, but they create safe living environments and provide peace of mind. The rest you gain form peace of mind and the money you save by protecting your property will outweigh the short-term savings of doing nothing.
Enjoy more Electrical Services and Safety Suggestions from The Surge Protector Guy @ http://www.ArgoElectrical.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=George_Argo
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5818442